Apr 25, 2012

World Book Night


I participatd in World Book Night this year.  This was the first year that they had this and I was a book giver.  The book that I was chosen for was Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson.  We got to choose three books out of the 30 books that were chosen by WBN. The books had a special cover and all the books (I think there were a half million total) were donated by the publishers for this event.

“Dead girl walking,” the boys say in the halls.
“Tell us your secret,” the girls whisper, one toilet to another.
I am that girl.
I am the space between my thighs, daylight shining through.
I am the bones they want, wired on a porcelain frame.


Lia and Cassie were best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies. But now Cassie is dead. Lia's mother is busy saving other people's lives. Her father is away on business. Her step-mother is clueless. And the voice inside Lia's head keeps telling her to remain in control, stay strong, lose more, weigh less. If she keeps on going this way—thin, thinner, thinnest—maybe she'll disappear altogether.


In her most emotionally wrenching, lyrically written book since the National Book Award finalist Speak, best-selling author Laurie Halse Anderson explores one girl's chilling descent into the all-consuming vortex of anorexia.


I had a lot of fun giving the books out.  I went to the Orthodontist, the Dentist, Medical Supply company, McDonalds, a hospital and gave books out.  I was surprised at how many of the 20 books that I actually gave out on that day.  I live in a small rural community and finding people to give books to isn't always easy.  I know that sounds crazy, but that is how it is.  I didn't get a chance to take any pictures, but the reactions of the people that I gave books to made my day.    I found this picture on the internet, and since I have a Sheltie too, I loved it.  Although, I don't recommend letting your dog bite your books.


1 comment:

  1. Glad your book night went well! Mine was a bit rocky, but it was still fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think about my reviews. Please leave a link to let me know who you are!