Mar 1, 2012

Author Interview: M. M. Shelley

M.M. Shelley is a storyteller, word smith and dreamer. MISHAP AND MAYHEM, a captivating story of faerie's and magic, is her debut novel. She has traveled the world extensively in search of the magic which is often overlooked in every day life. M.M. Shelley is a native of southern California, and a student of mythology from which she gets much inspiration.


M. M. Shelley, the author of The Chronicles of Orlando, has stopped by the blog and answered a few questions that we had.




YABR: What inspires you when you write?

MMS: I am inspired by various of things, I enjoy writing because its an escape into different worlds.


YABR:  Do you base your characters off of real people?  Do you have a process for coming up with characters?

MMS: The only name I used from an actual person is the character Fernie in The Zombie Story, I had an uncle named Fernie who past away several years ago. He used to tell my brothers and I stories of the days when he was on patrol as an LAPD officer. Although he was nothing like the character in my story, I just sort of borrowed his name.


YABR: What do you wish was different about the book(s), if anything?

MMS: Well, because these are a series of novella's they will always be evolving, these are stories that I believe will allow the reader to have a fun escape for a few hours. 

YABR: What is your favorite item on your work space?

MMS: I have a large map that's framed and hangs on the wall in my office, I love to travel and incorporate the places that I visit as the settings of my books and so when I get stuck on a scene I will take a look at my map and think about where I would like to be.

YABR: What type/genre of books do you like to read?

MMS:  I grew up reading Agatha Christie; Hercule Poirot is my favorite detective I enjoy a good murder mystery, but I enjoy a good romance too.

YABR: Favorite color

MMS: This changes all the time, right now I'd have to say Blue.


YABR: Favorite holiday/season

MMS: Fall!


YABR: Word that best describes you and why

MMS: Tenacious. I grab hold of an idea no matter how crazy it may sound and run with it and it has helped me pursue my dreams.  
      
        
YABR: Optimist or pessimist

MMS: Optimist  
YABR: Favorite author/book/series

MMS: Agatha Christie and her Hercule Poirot mysteries

YABR: Favorite food/drink

MMS: Japanese! There's a great restaurant near my home, it's a family owned restaurant and they are incredibly wonderful.


YABR: Favorite place to read/write

MMS: Anywhere, you never know when you will be inspired.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about my reviews. Please leave a link to let me know who you are!