Jan 7, 2012

Author Interview: Jennifer L Armentrout

Jennifer lives in Martinsburg, West Virginia. All the rumors you've heard about her state aren't true. When she's not hard at work writing. she spends her time reading, working out, watching really bad zombie movies, pretending to write, and hanging out with her husband and her Jack Russel Loki.

Her dreams of becoming an author started in algebra class, where she spent most of her time writing short stories....which explains her dismal grades in math. Jennifer writes young adult paranormal, science fiction, fantasy, and contemporary romance. She also writes adult romance under the name J. Rogers.
The Covenant series, The Lux series and the Unchained Trilogy (under the pen name of J.L. Rogers) are some of the books that have been written by Jennifer. She also has a new novel, Cursed, coming out tentatively in September 2012. 

The books that I have read that Jennifer has written are Daimon: A Prequel to Half-Blood and Obsidian.  She has graciously answered some questions I had for her.

  • You have a few different series out.  Which one is your favorite to work
    on and why?  Do you have a favorite character?  If so, who is it and why?

    Whatever series I'm working on is usually my favorite. It has to be for me to do my best. So one moment I'm totally in love with the Covenant Series and the next I'm all about the Lux series. I think my two favorite characters are Alex from the Covenant Series and Daemon from the Lux Series. Both of those characters bring the snark and I love me some snark!
  • Cursed is coming out in September 2012.  Is this book going to be a
    stand-alone book or a series?  Can you tell us a little about this book and
    where you got the inspiration for it?

    Cursed is currently a standalone and is about a girl who dies and comes back (thanks to her little sister) with a toxic touch. Anything she touches basically withers up and dies. Beside trying to discover how her sister brought her back and what the means, Ember has to learn how to control her ability plus discover who caused the accident in the first place and why. Of course, she has some help from an uber hot guy with his own secrets and abilities. My inspiration for Cursed was kind of weird. It all started with the opening scene, which is Ember waking up with a dead hamster sitting on her chest. Yeah, I know, bizarre. But the hamster was her little sister's pet that had died and was brought back. So it was a weird Pet Cemetery moment., kind of creepy, kind of fun. It just spawned from there.
  • What inspires you when you write?

    It's pretty simple. Telling stories inspries me. 
  • Do you base your characters off of real people?  Do you have a process
    for coming up with characters?

    Some secondary characters are based loosely on people I know, but the main characters almost never. The characters are usually the first thing I come up and the plot develops around them. 
  • Do you ever experience writer’s block and how do you get over it?

    Oh, God, yes. Scary moments there. Usually I try to power through them with a sledgehammer, but if the block is real big, then I moved ahead in the story, write a scene I want and then come back to the area that's tripping me up. 
  • What type/genre of books do you like to read?  What are you currently
    reading?

    I'm a fan of paranormal and fantasy mostly. Right now I'm reading a billion novels it seems: Immortal Rider, Hallowed, Goddess Interrupted, Legend, and Enclave.
  • Favorite color

    Red. 
  • Favorite holiday/season

    Halloween and Christmas are tied.  
  • Word that best describes you and why

    Random. I'm pretty random.
  • Optimist or pessimist

    Realist. 
  • Favorite author/book/series

    Right now? Rachel Vincent Soul Screamers.
  • Favorite food/drink

    Red meat and coffee (healthy, right?)
  • Favorite place to read/write

    Living room. 

Young Adult Book Reviews would like to thank Jennifer Armentrout for answering our questions. 


Find Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. Amazing interview! :D
    I'll be sure to check your literature out, Jennifer. ♥

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think about my reviews. Please leave a link to let me know who you are!